New Delhi is the capital of India with an amazing amalgamation of sparks of history locating in old Delhi and elegant grace of modern cosmopolitan Delhi. The city has unique and mesmerizing streak attracting explorers from the world over with its epic historic sagas placed beautifully and poetically in the exotic monuments and other attractions situated in this city of hearts—New Delhi. Delhi is also part of one of the most popular Golden triangle tour packages. Have a look at these best places to visit in Delhi, we’ve selected for you after exploring every nook and corner of Delhi so that you can have ultimate bliss on your Delhi trip.
Best Places to Visit in Delhi
1. Red Fort: Charming Fortress in Sheer Red
Lal Quila is the local name of this splendour. This wonder masterpiece took around 9 years and cost of 10 million rupees to take a gorgeous form, in the era of the 17th century to great Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan. It provides every visitor with a reason to adore this excellent art piece. Peep into the grandeur of bygone regal lives, while strolling around the Diwan-e-aam, Diwan-e-Khas, Shahi Burj, Moti Masjid, Ran Mahal and other decorated part of the fortress. Go back in history and feel the elegance of “Laal Quila- the wonderful and finest places to visit in Delhi for Photography.”
Timing:- 9:30 am to 4:30 pm ( Closed on Sundays ) and light and sound show at 6 pm every day.
Duration:- 2-3 Hours
Entry Fees:- INR 10 for India Citizens, Citizens of SAARC and BIMSTEC nations.
INR 250 for Foreigners
Free for the children below 15 years of age
Best Time to Visit Red Fort:- September to March is the best time to visit Red Fort one of the Places to Visit in Delhi when the weather is quite Pleasant and is also the best time to visit Golden Triangle of India.
How to reach Red Fort:- You can reach the red fort by Public transport like:- DTC Buses, Private taxis or Cabs, or auto rickshaw from any part of the city. You can also go to Chandini Chowk railway station in Yellow line which is the nearest station of Red fort and from there you can take public transport to reach Red Fort.
Things to do at Red Fort:-
- Watch and Light Sound show at Red Fort.
- Do Photography or Videography.
- Take a tour around the Red Fort.
2. Qutub Minar: Tall brick Minaret
Walk around the tallest brick minaret, with a rising height of 73m tower of victory. Built-in 1193 by Emperor Qutub-ud-din Aibak. The structure is made widely with red sandstone, marble, and sandstone. Being a part of UNESCO’s world heritage site, Qutub Minar is among one of the loved places to visit in Delhi for youngsters. Collect all your energies to climb 379 steps of this masterpiece to have that panoramic yet royal feel standing on the top of this tower.
Timing:- 10:00 am to 5:00 pm from Sunrise to Sunset ( Closed on Sundays ).
Duration:- 2-3 Hours
Entry Fees:- INR 40 for Indian Citizens, Citizens of SAARC and BIMSTEC nation.
INR 600 for Foreign Tourists
Free for Children below 15 years of age: Free with Valid ID only
Best Time to Visit Qutub Minar:- Because of the scorching heat in Delhi in summers, It’s better to Visit Dubai in Winter Months from October to March.
How to Reach Qutub Minar:- You can reach the nearest Qutub Minar Metro station in yellow line and from there you can take auto-rickshaws, Private cabs or taxis to reach the Qutub Minar. You can take public transport from any parts of the city to reach the Qutub Minar, one of the Best Places to Visit in Delhi.
Things to do at Qutub Minar:-
- Try out the dishes in the restaurant situated near to the Qutub Minar.
- Photography can be done on this one of the beautiful places to visit in Delhi.
- Visit Mehrauli Archaeological Park.
- See the beautiful Carvings on the wall which are the verses of the Holy Quran.
- See the very Famous Iron Pillar which got popular because of its perplexing property of not resting and standing strong from the very long time.
- Buy Stuff from the local markets.
3. Jama Masjid: Home of Prayers from History
Find your solitude in the peaceful precincts of Red Fort—Jama Masjid is one of the Places to Visit in Delhi with family. Jama Mosque is the largest mosque in Asia which has large enough courtyard to allow 25000 devotees to offer prayers at a single time. It was the last marvellous creation of Mughal Emperor Shahjahan that developed in the year 1650. Jama Masjid satisfies the desires of avid lovers of history as well as the culture in a most pleasant way.
Timing:- 7:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:30 pm to 6:30 pm
Non- Muslim 8:00 am to 30 Minutes before Sunset.
Minaret 9:00 am to 5:30 pm
Duration:- 2-3 Hours
Entry Fees:- No entry fee but for Photography – INR 300
Best Time to Visit Jama Masjid:- The best time to visit Jama Masjid is during the times of Eid, one of the festivals in Muslim. The Buzz on the streets of Jama Masjid and Chandni Chowk Got double at the time of Eid. The mosque served the Iftar meal and lots of stalls of delicious food popped up during the festival. 12 o’clock and 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm is the perfect time to visit the mosque.
How to Reach Jama Masjid:- Jama Masjid metro station and Chawri Bazar metro station is the nearest station to Jama Masjid which 300 and 500 metres away from there you can take DTC buses ( AC & Non- AC ), or any other public transport to reach Jama masjid which plies all parts of the City.
Things to do at Jama Masjid:-
- Visit and Shop at the Chawri Market.
- Go to the old city.
- Wander around the Jama masjid.
- Do photography at Jama Masjid, one of the beautiful places to visit in Delhi.
4. India Gate: National Monument of India
India Gate, the national memorial, is built in the memories of soldiers who lost their lives in world war first to save the eminence of the nation. Surrounded by lush green lawns, this place is at its best at night when shines of stars merged with colourful floodlights standing here, double the spark. India Gate is one of the best places to visit in Delhi in the evening.
Timing:- 24 hours open
Duration:- 1-2 Hours
Entry Fees:- No entry fee
Best Time to Visit India Gate:- The Best time to visit India Gate is from February to April and July to November when the weather is quite pleasant to travel. India Gate at night is beautiful to see with perfect lightning. India Gate decorated every year on 26 January ( Independence Day ) and 15 August ( Republic day ) that will give you an amazing view of India Gate.
How to Reach India Gate:- Central Secretariat Metro Station is the nearest station to this place in Yellow line. You can take auto-rickshaw or taxi from the metro station or you take DTC buses and other public transport to reach India Gate which is one of the amazing Places to Visit in Delhi at night or in the evening.
Things to do at India Gate:-
- Pay respect at Amar Jawan Jyoti or put some flowers on the memorial stone as a tribute to the brave people who lost their lives for their country
- Wander around on the streets of Raj Path – Royal Road and enjoy the beautiful views.
- Go on bicycle tour at Raj path, India gate and Raj ghat.
- Enjoy some mouth-watering delicacies at the Dhabas near the India Gate.
5. Rajghat- The Gandhi Memorial
Pay homage to our own Father of Nation, Mahatma Gandhi while visiting his memorial, Rajghat which is one of the Places to Visit in Delhi at evening. This is the place where the last rituals of Mahatma Gandhi’s were performed on 31st January 1948. You can notice the stone of Gandhiji in square black stone over here along with a museum displaying the life cycle and stories of Great Mahatma Gandhi. A show on the life story of Mahatma Gandhi in English is displayed from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm except for Thursdays over here. Come to offer flowers and respect to a great soul—Mahatma Gandhi!
Timing:- 6:30 am to 5:00 pm
Duration:- 1 Hour
Entry Fees:- No entry fee
Best Time to Visit Raj Ghat:- The best time to Visit Raj Ghat is the winter season from October to March.
How to Reach Raj Ghat:- From other parts of the City and from the New Delhi railway station you can take auto-rickshaws, Taxis or cabs to reach the Raj Ghat
Things to do at Raj Ghat:-
- Explore the other two museums dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi.
- Visit the nearby places of Raj Ghat.
6. Lotus Temple: Magnificent Centre of Faith
Another name of the beautiful temple is the Bahai House of Worship, solving double purposes on a single go. Not only you gonna find your peace of mind here, but also this centre of faith will awestruck you with its contemporary architecture. The structure of lotus was chosen with the conscious and divine idea of unity, as the lotus is an important symbol common to Hinduism, Buddism, Jainism, and Islam. The temple is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Delhi at night. Visit this temple to feel the true spirit of India- “Unity in Diversity”.
Timing:- October to March:- 9:30 am to 5:30 pm
April to September:- 9:30 am to 7:00 pm
Close on every Monday
Duration:- 1 Hour
Entry Fees:- No entry fees
Best Time to Visit Lotus Temple:- The Best time to Visit lotus temple is in the winter season from October to March. Visit at the time of Dusk and evening hours when the beauty of the temple enhanced by the floodlights and become one of the Best Places to visit in Delhi in evening or at Night.
How to Reach Lotus temple:- Kalkaji metro station is the nearest railway station to lotus temple from there you can take public transport or can walk down to Lotus temple from metro station.
Things to do at Lotus temple:-
- Do meditation and praying.
- Visit the library “ Baha’i world centre library”.
- Stroll around the gardens and ponds in the temple.
7. Chandni Chowk: Culture Lanes
If you are looking for places to visit in Delhi for Shopping, then Chandni Chowk is one of them. Time travel in history, stroll in historic lanes of old Delhi. Take your time out to collect vibrant streak of Delhi, get ready to blow with charms of diverse cultures celebrating life together delightfully. Keep your shopping and bargaining skills handy to fill your shopping bags with all unique stuff at throwaway prices in the historic bazaars of Chandni Chowk. You’ll never lose your energies while walking in these narrow most lanes, as these lanes are ever ready to serve you with the tastiest street food of India. Make your dream came true just in Chandni Chowk which is one of the Places to Visit in Delhi for couple, friends and family.
Timing:- 10:00 am to 7:00 pm ( Closed on Mondays )
Duration:- 3-4 Hours
Entry Fees:- No entry fees
Best Time to Visit Chandni Chowk:- The best time to Visit Chandni Chowk is in winters from October to march when you do the shopping here happily without the scorching heat of Delhi.
How to Reach Chandni Chowk:- You can hire a pubic transport from any part of the city to reach Chandni Chowk or you can first get down to Chandni Chowk metro station and then take a rickshaw to reach the desired market.
Things to do at Chandni Chowk:-
- Shop here for any kind of occasion. Some of the best market in Chandni Chowk are:-
- Nai Sadak: Known for Books and Stationery Items
- Dariba Kalan: Known for Jewellery especially silver and gold items.
- Chawri Bazaar: Known for sale of the paper products, wedding cards printed in Bulk
- Kinari Bazaar: Known for Zardozi items such as laces and frills.
- Bhagirath Palace: Known for selling of wholesale item for electrical and electronic items.
- Ballimaran Market:- Known for selling shoes at very min. And affordable price.
- Chor Bazar:- one of the biggest theft market in Delhi, they have also types of things you name it and they have it.
- Katra Neel:- This market has all kinds of clothes.
- Capture the Vibrant culture of the market which has the most colourful background.
- Visit the nearby Places of Chandni Chowk like- Sri Digambar Jai Lal Mandir, Central Baptist Church, and the Jama Masjid.
- Try out the mouth-watering food at Chandni Chowk like Jalebis, ladoos and some other snacks sold by Shopkeeper. Chandni Chowk is the best place to visit in Delhi to taste some amazing mouth-watering dishes.
Some of the famous shop to eat the food is:-
Natraja’s Dahi Bhalle, Meghraj and Sons, Paranthewali Gali, The jalebi wala, Gianiji ka Falooda, Kanwarji Bhagirathmal Dalbijiwallah, Chaatwallah, Tewari Brothers Confectioners, Bikaner Sweet Shop, Chainaram, Annapurna Bhandar, etc.
8. Connaught Palace: Cosmopolitan Delhi’s Symbol
Connaught Palace is one of those places to visit in Delhi for fun & Shopping. For adding more shopping tales to your Delhi story, explore stores of world-renowned brands of the world at Connaught Palace. You can even name CP, a modern and sophisticated version of Chandni Chowk. As you gonna sense the modernity of Delhi while having your favourite cappuccino at Starbucks here, with other classy crowds of Delhi.
Timing:- 11:00 am to 9:30 pm ( Closed on Sundays )
Duration:- 2-3 Hours
Entry Fees:- No entry fees
Best Time to Visit Connaught Palace:- Avoid visiting in the summer season as the temperature is very high, October to March it’s the perfect time to visit Connaught Palace.
How to Reach Connaught Palace:- You can take public transport from any part of the city to reach Connaught Palace. Rajiv Chowk is the nearest metro station you can also do rickshaw or cab to reach here from the station.
Things to do at Connaught Palace:-
- Eat the Chuski paan/fire paan at odeon palace.
- Do the shopping at Connaught palace which is one of the places to visit in Delhi for shopping.
- Go and Taste snacks at Wenger’s – one of the best bakery.
- Visit the underground market Palika bazaar also.
- Taste lip-smacking delicacies in the restaurants near Connaught palace.
- Enjoy the nightlife of Connaught palace at Nightclubs.
9. Akshardham Temple: Stop Point of Indian Culture
Relaxing on the banks of Yamuna, this traditional marvel of architecture is a manifestation of time-tested ancient traditions of Hindu culture and spirituality which has filtered down in today’s era. The musical fountain in the temple vicinity is the most popular as it attracts most of the tourists coming to Delhi. So be ready to take a dip in this epitome of spirituality. Akshardham is one of the Best Places to Visit in Delhi with friends and with your loved ones and is also one of the offbeat places to visit in India.
Timing:- 10:00 am to 8:00 pm ( Closed on Monday )
Duration:- 3 – 4 Hours
Entry Fees:- Adult (12 years and above) – INR 220
Senior Citizen – INR 170
Children (4 to 11 years) – INR 120
Less than 4 Years – Free
Best Time to Visit Akshardham Temple:- October to March ( Winter season ) is the best time to visit Akshardham Temple.
How to Reach Akshardham Temple:- Hire Cabs, or Auto rickshaw to reach the Akshardham Temple from any part of the city.
Things to do at Akshardham Temple:-
- Attend the Musical Fountain Show View the full-fledged theatre that will take you to glorious ancient past.
- Do the boat ride in the Akshardham temple lake which gives you some peaceful moment and unlimited fun.
- View the exhibitions and relax in the garden of Akshardham temple.
- Pray and listen to the soulful mystic chants and beautiful hymns in the air.
- Capture the beautiful things around the garden which one of the best places to visit in Delhi for some peaceful moments.
10. Lodhi Garden: Garden from The Historic Era
The old name of this beautiful garden is Old Lady Wellington Park. The major attractions of the park are the Tomb of Muhammad Shah and Sikander Lodhi. Awarding best clicks to photographers with it’s well-manicured and preserved lawns. Have your relax moments in busy tripping Delhi schedule at Lodhi Gardens. Lodhi Garden is one of the best places to visit in Delhi in the morning for some amazing photographic moment and to spend some quality time with yourself.
Timing:- 6:00 am to 7:30 pm
Duration:- 1-2 Hours.
Entry Fees:- No Entry fee
Best Time to Visit Lodhi Garden:- The best time to visit Lodhi Garden is October to march in Winter season.
How to Reach Lodhi Garden:- You can reach Lodhi Garden through taxis, cabs or auto-rickshaw from any of the Delhi City.
Things to do at Lodhi Garden:-
- Morning walk and Yoga at Lodhi Garden which is one of the best places to visit in Delhi in the morning.
- Capture the beautiful things at Lodhi Garden.
- Visit the eight pier bridge.
- Explore the Lodhi Garden by walking around it.
Other Popular Places to Visit in Delhi
|Humayun’s Tomb||Rashtrapati Bhavan||Dilli Haat|
|Hauz Khas Village||Agrasen Ki Baoli||National Gallery of Modern Art, Delhi|
|Delhi Zoo||ISKCON Temple Delhi||Gurudwara Bangla Sahib|
|Waste to Wonder Park||Teen Murti Bhavan||Purana Quila|
|Jantar Mantar||Khan Market||Tughlaqabad Fort|
So, this is our list of places to visit in Delhi, Although, Delhi is the city with extremes; a list is not enough to wrap its jewels. However, this is the place for the souls who wear their hearts on the sleeve, as you are going to catch here the reflection of this whole big nation—India. So, Plan your visit to Delhi with the Best North India Tour Operators LIH.
FAQs on Places to Visit in Delhi
Q.1 What to shop in Delhi?
Ans – Following are the things to shop in Delhi:-
- Silver articles, Kundan Jewellery and Meenakari Jewellery.
- Indian Pickles.
- Traditional Oil Lamp
- Cheap Imitations, Accessories and others.
- Tea, Spices and other condiments.
- Silk Textiles, Fashion Wear, Scarfs, and Others
- Articles of Leather.
- Wood Articles, Brassware, Sandalwood Products and Home Décor Items
- Famous India Mojaris
Q.2 What is the best time to visit Delhi?
Ans – The best time to visit Delhi in October and November or February and March.
Q.3 What are the places to visit in Delhi in two days?
Ans – Places to Visit in Delhi in two days are:-
- Qutub Minar
- Red Fort
- Jama Masjid
- India Gate
- Lotus Temple
- Chandni Chowk
- Akshardham Temple
- Rashtrapati Bhavan
- Connaught Palace
- Lodhi Garden